March 4, 1881
Clinton Public


John HUME is an erratic genius.  He is a man of more than average ability, but has a bad habit that overshadows what might be a bright and happy life.  John is a tiller of the soil and works a farm near Wapella.  From the time the farming season opens in the spring till the crop is gathered in the fall, no one works more industriously or successfully than John Hume; but during the winter months he labors just as hard to squander the gains of his summer’s work.  A week ago he celebrated Washington’s birthday by going to Jake Vogel’s sale, and afterward came to Clinton to quaff sundry drinks in memory of the departed George.   About six o'clock in the evening he started for his home, and when within about a quarter of a mile from Mr. S. M. Thorp’s house John got out of his sleigh, hitched his horses to a telegraph pole and walked back to Clinton.  Just before the evening train left for Gilman, John was seen at the depot, and there he told the story that he had been robbed while on his way home.  He took the evening train for Gilman, and there he bought a ticket for Cincinnati.  His family became alarmed at his absence, and parties went out in search of the lost, stolen or strayed John.  When his team was found so near home, it aroused a suspicion that John had been foully dealt with.  For two days and nights the country was searched, but no trace of the missing John could be had.   Last Friday some Wapella gentlemen were in this city, and then for the first time trace was had of him.  This is not the first time John has indulged in a mysterious disappearance.   Brace up, John.

March 25, 1881
Clinton Public

Maimed for Life.

On last Friday morning Dr. Aaron W. EDMISTON went with his sister to the Wabash train to see her off to Lincoln.  The yard engine of the Central road was over at the Wabash depot, and while it was in quick motion the Doctor started to jump on the engine to ride back to town.   The engineer told him not to try to get on as the engine was running too fast.  Attached to the engine was a freight car.  The Doctor thought he could get on this and jumped at the ladder on the side of the car and caught one of the rungs, but did not get a foothold.  He hung there for a second and then fell between the side of the car and the platform at the depot.  The space between the rail and the platform is very narrow, but the Doctor realized his dangerous position and hugged as closely as possible to the platform.   His left foot, however, was on the edge of the rail and the hind wheels of the car struck the heel of his boot, passed over his ankle, and cut a gash on the inside of his leg some three or four inches above the ankle.  The Doctor felt no pain, nor did he realize that he was wounded till he tried to stand up.  Help came immediately, as there were several people standing around the depot.  The Doctor was perfectly cool and self-possessed and directed the men to cut his shoe off and then tightly bandage his leg above the fracture in order to stop the flow of blood.  The yard engine backed up to the platform and the Doctor was placed in the freight car and brought down to the Central depot, from which place he was carried to his home.

Drs. Wright, Goodbrake and John and David Edmiston, were summoned, and after they had examined the nature of the injury they decided that amputation of the foot was necessary.  Poor Aaron plead for his foot if it was possible to save it, and the operation was postponed till the afternoon.  During all this terrible ordeal Aaron was stout of heart, and when the Doctors again met in the afternoon to perform the operation he was perfectly resigned to his fate.  After the foot was cut off the Doctors examined it and found that every bone was broke and all the tissues crushed to a jelly.

After a day or two the Doctor suffered greatly from pains in his body and across his lungs, and it is feared that he may have suffered some internal injury which may retard his speedy recovery from the effects of the amputation.

This is a terrible calamity to befall a young man who had so bright a future.  A little more than a year ago he graduated from Rush Medical College in Chicago, and on the death of his father had succeeded to a large and paying practice.  While the injury will not materially interfere with the practice of his profession, yet the thought to him must be a terrible one of being maimed for life.


April 8, 1881
Clinton Public

Dr. A. W. EDMISTON is rapidly recovering from the effects of his recent accident which caused the amputation of his left foot.  The doctor holds up bravely under his misfortune.


May 13, 1881
Clinton Public

Badly Injured.—James SPRADLING was badly injured yesterday afternoon, and the probabilities are that he will be laid up for some time.  He was at work building a brick foundation under the house on Col. Snell’s farm, near the big barn, and when he was injured was propping up the front portico of the house preparatory to building brick pillars under it.  The portico broke loose from its fastenings and fell on Jim’s back while he was under it and crushed him so much that he was unable to move.  It was as much as two or three stout men could do to raise the portico from Jim’s body.  Dr. Wright was at once summoned.  He made as thorough an examination as possible and reported that no bones were broken.  But it is impossible as yet to tell the extent of the internal injury, and it may be a day or two before this can be determined, as the injured man suffers severely from the shock.  Spradling was brought to his home in this city as soon as he could stand the trip.


October 14, 1881
Clinton Public

Three-Score Years of Married Life.

It was my good fortune to attend an event of unusual interest at the residence of T. CHENOWETH, near Atlanta [Illinois], on October 1st—the sixtieth anniversary of the marriage of Father and Mother GOUDY.  The day was dark and gloomy; the rain had been falling incessantly for twenty-four hours, but early in the morning it ceased, though the clouds hung threateningly all day, and many of the friends of the dear old people were thus kept away.  But, notwithstanding rain and mud, by eleven o"clock wagons and carriages began to arrive, and the smiling faces of both old and young made the bad weather seem more pleasant.  The great baskets that were unloaded looked temptingly suggestive.  It was mostly a surprise to the old people, although they suspicioned something unusual when their children began to gather home.  The children present, besides Mrs. CHENOWETH, with whom they live, were Mrs. WHITE, of Minnesota; Mrs. Dr. RICHARDS, of Texas; R. L. GOUDY and wife, of Indiana, and Mrs. L. C. GOUDY, of Lacon, who is a daughter-in-law.  Besides these, there is a son in Oregon, a son and daughter in Kansas, and two sons in Texas, who could not attend.  Among the relatives present was a brother of Mother Goudy, John ROLOFSON and wife, of DeWitt county; H. P. GOUDY, of White county, and Mrs. DAVIS, of Tremont.  Among the guests we noticed Eld. Thomas, of Atlanta; Rev. Prim, pastor of the Atlanta Baptist church, Dr. Gardiner and wife, &c.  The old people have forty-two grandchildren, only one being present, and six great-grandchildren, none of whom were present.   There were fifty besides children assembled around the well-filled table, and I never sat down to a more elegant repast.  At the head of the table sat Eld. Thomas, next to him were Father and Mother Goudy, and then were the children.

After the repast Eld. Thomas, on behalf of the children and relatives, presented the venerable couple a number of gold pieces, and other gifts.  A letter of regret from an absent son was read by Rev. Prim, as a sample letter from the absent children.  It was truly an occasion to be remembered, and we looked at the dear old couple, upon whose brows age has left no trace of second childhood’s imbecility, we could not think of them as “going down among the shadows” of life, but up the hill toward heaven*#8217;s eternal height.

Father and Mother Goudy emigrated to this State in 1819, one from Tennessee and the other from Kentucky.  They were married in White county, in 1821.  The little log-hewn cabin in which they “hung their crane” is still standing, gray and moss-grown though it is.   May God bless the dear young-hearted old people and grant them many returns of their anniversary.   A Guest.

Note: T. Chenoweth was probably Isaac Chenoweth who was married to Minnie Goudy.