Picture of J H Randolph Farm.
Click on image to view larger picture.

THIS township deserves special mention in the history of DeWitt county, from the fact that the first blow struck toward civilization and the first settlement made was within its borders. Over half a century ago the woodman's ax was heard to resound through the timber of Salt Creek; few there were to bear the burdens of the pioneer's life and encourage one another in paving the way for civilization and future generations. Fifty-seven years have passed away, and behold the transition: Splendid farms and farm improvements are seen on every hand— life and activity prevail throughout its territory, and its inhabitants are thrifty and happy.

Tunbridge Township is situated in the extreme south-western part of the county, and bounded on the north by Barnett township, on the east by Texas, south by Macon county, and west by Logan. It is in the form of a perfect square, and contains thirty sections of the most excellent land. Originally this territory was very evenly divided between prairie and timber. Salt Creek, a stream of considerable proportions, crosses through the township from east to west a little north of the center. All along this stream, for two or three miles in width, once was covered with a heavy growth of fine timber, of oak, hickory, ash, sycamore, walnut and other varieties. Today, fine farms abound where these giants of the forest stood. Only enough is left to supply the wants of the people for fuel, fencing and building purposes. The surface is sufficiently undulating in most parts to carry off the surface water. At some points on the creek, the banks approach in their form to small bluffs. The railroad facilities are excellent, not less than two roads passing through the entire township. The Illinois-Midland Railway enters the south-eastern corner and extends diagonally across the township, passing out at the north-west. The Gillman, Clinton, and Springfield road, now known as the Springfield Division of the Illinois Central, extends through it from north-east to south-west, forming a junction with the Midland at nearly the geographical center of the township, thereby forming a letter X within a perfect square. At this writing, the people are indebted to the Gillman, Clinton, and Springfield road in the sum of $30,000; the bonds of which are drawing ten percent interest, but about to be funded at six percent. The Midland road also claims an indebtedness from the township of $20, 000; but it is said by the people it is an illegal claim and, therefore, will not be paid. Some future historian will have to write the sequel.

Believing that the first land entries will prove interesting to not only the present but to coming generations, we append them below in the order of their entry: Jacob Coppenbarger on the 12th of November, 1829, entered the N. E. quarter of section 7. John Walker entered the west half of the N. W. quarter of section 13 on the 15th of October, 1829. On the same date, John Fruit entered the west half of the N. E. quarter, and the east half of the N. W. quarter of section 13. On the same date and same section, Elizabeth Fruit entered the east half of the S. W. quarter. Thomas Fruit, at the same time, entered the east half of the S. E. quarter and the east half of the N. E. quarter of section 14. On the 17th of October, 1829, Jacob Coppenbarger entered the east half of the S. E. quarter of section 5. At the same date, John Coppenbarger entered the west half of the S. E. quarter of section 8. Hugh Bowles entered on the 6th of November, 1830, the S. W. quarter of section 4. On the same date, Baron T. Lowrey entered the N. W. quarter of section 9. Same date and same section, William Newcomb entered the west half of S. E. quarter. Elisha Butler entered the west half of the N. W. quarter of section 7 on November 7th, 1830. Same date, Mahlon Hall entered 318 acres in section 4.


had to undergo untold hardships, even to obtain the most meager enjoyments of life. Their nearest grist-mill was situated at Springfield, and after having taken the then long and tedious journey, they were often obliged to remain three or four days to get a sack-full of corn ground; for it must be remembered that in those days the now capital of the state had but one mill, and that was run by horse power. Often the roads and weather were such that they were forced to crush their corn for meal in the old-time mortar. This was constructed by hollowing out a stump and using an iron wedge for a pestle. Another method was to boil the corn to a soft consistency and grate it from the cob by means of a tin pan punched with holes. What little merchandise was used was mainly obtained at Pekin; the goods being boated up the river from St. Louis. To make the trip to Pekin and return took several days and nights, hence they were obliged to camp out; and in the language of one of the old pioneers, "when they lay down at night to sleep their slumber was fanned by the howling of wolves, and the whooping of Indians". John Branson, Sen., who is 88 years of age and resides in Kenney, informed the writer that in the spring of 1826, he crossed Salt Creek timber, coming out on what is now the old Joseph Howard farm near Kenney, and that there was not a sign of a white man or of his habitation, but that the timber was lined with Indian wigwams. They were principally the Pottawatomie's and Kickapoo's. Large herds of deer and hundreds of wolves were then running through the timber or skulking through the prairie grass. Mr. Branson believed be was alone in this vast expanse so far as any white man was concerned, but in this he was mistaken; had he crossed what is now section 7, instead of section 4, he would have found signs of civilization. Here it was that the first blow was struck, where the first settlement was made, not only in this township, but in DeWitt county.

On the 29th of October, 1824, there might have been seen two wagons drawn by oxen, plodding their way wearily through the tall prairie grass, and finally lost to sight in the timbers of Salt Creek. It was near night when they selected a place to stop, and when they stepped from their wagons, there was nothing but the forest for a home. They soon threw together a rude brush tent and moved into it. These hardy few consisted of two families, Elisha Butler and his wife, and Mrs. Shugart and her two sons, Zion and Edom. They had emigrated from Sangamon county, brought their all with them, and heroically decided to brave the adversities of the pioneer. The moon shining brightly the next morning, long before daylight, they were out cutting logs preparatory to the building of a comfortable cabin. Within a reasonable time they had completed it, the women helping the men, and they joyfully moved into their new house. As it was October, and too late to raise a crop, they were obliged to undergo the inconvenience for nearly a year of going to Springfield for bread stuffs.

These are among some of the hardships that our forefathers have undergone that the present generation may enjoy what has been so bounteously prepared for them. Of these five pioneers, but one is now living; the others passed away years ago. The surviving one, Edom Shugart, now resides in Nebraska, a very old man, yet he likes to write and talk about "ye olden times". Section 7, where the wilderness first resounded to the woodman's ax is now mainly under good cultivation, and fine farms please the eye of those who pass.

The second to aid in the settlement of this township was John Coppenbarger, a brother-in-law of Zion and Edom Shugart. He was a native of Virginia, and moved to Illinois in an early day and settled in Sangamon county. In the spring of 1828, he emigrated to this township and located on section 8, and raised a small crop that year. He died in 1869, and at this writing has but one direct representative living, Sylvester P. Coppenbarger, who resides here.

Jacob Coppenbarger, father of John, made the first land entry in the township. This was in the fall of 1828, at the time of his coming. He died many years ago. One son is yet living here, Joseph, who is upwards of 70 years of age.

John Walker, an emigrant from Ohio, came in the fall of 1829, and settled on section 13. He had a wife and two children; the names of the children were John and Sidney. Mr. Walker moved to California about 1848. None of the family are living in the county at this time.

Another prominent old settler was William Randolph, who was a native of North Carolina. He moved with his father to Virginia when he was a mere lad, where he remained until he grew to manhood. In the fall of 1830, he moved with his family to this township. His family consisted of his wife and eight children; Levi, Love, Polly, Willoughby, Sarah, William, Josiah, and J. H. His mode of transit was the southern style four-horse crooked bed wagon, which was driven by one of the parties who rode the wheel horse using one line. The first house he occupied was a pole cabin with stick chimney, and the ground for a floor. The spring following, he traded one of his horses and the wagon for eighty acres of land from Elisha Butler. This was the west half of the north-west quarter of section 7. The same spring, he built a comfortable log house and used the pole cabin for a kitchen. This was the spring following the winter of the "deep snow". This year, Mr. Randolph ploughed and planted a few acres of corn, but the spring being late and the summer cold, the early frosts cut the crop so severely that it did not mature. It was in such a sappy condition when it was gathered and, being frozen solid, it actually had to be placed before the fire and thawed before it could be fed to the stock. From the fact that there was no sound corn in Central and Northern Illinois, the few people of this part of the state were obliged to go to the more southern portion to obtain seed corn the following spring, hence the name given to that part of the state, "Egypt". Five other children were born to the family after coming to this section, making thirteen in all. Mrs. Randolph died in 1863, at the age of 63 years. Mr. Randolph lived to the good old age of 74, and died four years after his wife. The only direct representative of the family living in the county is J. H. Randolph, one of the prominent and substantial farmers of DeWitt County. He was the youngest of the family when his father moved to the state. He is now living on section 7, the old homestead. He married Miss Margaret Wallace, in the fall of 1853. His wife was the daughter of Colonel Andrew Wallace, another old settler who located on section 6 in 1830, and who was a native of Bourbon County, Kentucky. From this marriage there have been eight children born; Alice, Andrew W., Charles C., Laura, Grace, Moses W., Ivan Lee, and one infant son that died without name. Mr. Randolph is one of the leading stock growers in the county. He has some of the finest blooded sheep in the state, and is said to be the heaviest wool grower in Tunbridge.

Hugh Bowles came to this part of the county in the fall of 1830. On the 6th of November of the same year he entered the south-west quarter of section 4. His family was very large, consisting of six boys and five girls. He died many years ago. Anderson Bowles, the eldest son, is living in Barnett township, and the only one of the family now in the county. William Newcomb migrated here in the fall of 1830 and located on section 9. He was a native of Virginia, moved from there to Kentucky, and subsequently to Indiana, and from thence to Illinois as above stated. Prior to his advent here his wife died, but he brought his children with him; eight in all. Their names were as follows: Juda, Susan A., Daniel, Jane L., Polly, Hannah, Ruth, and Elizabeth. The first four were then married but came along as part of the family. The conveyances were the usual emigrant teams, oxen yoked before heavy lumber wagons. Mr. Newcomb bought out the pre-emption right of a widow in section 9, and moved into the little cabin that was situated on the premises. He lived to become a prominent farmer of the times and died in 1851, the day he was 76 years of age. There are but three of the family living; Aunt Hannah Watson and Susan Alsop, who reside in this township, and Mrs. Jane Knight, who lives in an adjoining county.

Darius Hall came here in 1831 and located in the Coppenbarger settlement. He was a native of Bourbon county, Kentucky, and came to this state in 1829, and stopped two years near Springfield. He was married in Kentucky in 1819 to Mary Jones. When they came here, they had five children. Mr. Hall moved to Clinton a few years ago, where he died. He was elected constable in 1831, and afterwards served two years as deputy sheriff.

Thomas Fruit was born in North Carolina and afterwards emigrated to Kentucky. In the fall of 1829, he came to Illinois and entered land in section 14, Tunbridge township, when he returned to his home in Kentucky. In the fall of 1834, he moved with his family to his possessions here. The family consisted of a wife and nine children; Susan W., William L., Mary E., Sabilla M., Sidney C., Edmund W., Martha J., Enoch A., and John D. Two of the children were left in Kentucky, James S. and Thompson C.; there being eleven children in all belonging to the family. Mr. Fruit lived to amass and enjoy a good property, and died the 8th of December, 1871, at the advanced age of 88 years. Mrs. Fruit died a few years before her husband. James Fruit, the father of Thomas, made a settlement prior to the latter, coming in 1831. No one but his wife was with him when he made his advent here. He settled on section 13, but soon died, his death occurring in the fall of 1834. Edmund W. Fruit, son of Thomas, is now a man considerably advanced in years. He is living in section 26, and one of the wealthy and substantial farmers of Tunbridge. He is living with his fourth wife. There are five children; James A., Mary E., Arthur W., Laura B., and Sidney J., all of whom are living in the township except the latter, who resides in Missouri. John D. Fruit, a younger brother of Edmund W., also resides here on section 31. He is a native of the township, being born in 1835. He has a wife and four children; one son and three daughters.

Another old settler, John Kenney, came from Bourbon county, Kentucky, in 1834, and settled in what was called the Bowles and Hall neighborhood. He came with his father's family, which consisted of father, step-mother, and six children; three sons, and three daughters. None of the family are living at this time. John died only a few years ago. The village of Kenney was named in honor of him, and it now occupies the ground on which his father first settled. Their pioneer log cabin was situated but a short distance north of the town.

Joseph Howard was a native of Kentucky, and emigrated to Ohio in 1826. He remained there ten years, when he moved to this part of the county, and settled on section 14. His mode of conveyance was what is called in these days the "prairie schooner". He had two wagons, one drawn by three yoke of cattle and the other by a four-horse team. It took one month to make the trip. The roads were new and in places almost impassable; sometimes ten miles a day was considered a heavy drive. He brought his family, consisting of a wife and six children, with him. The names of the children were; Benjamin, Rachel, Ellen, Peter, William, and Reuben. Four other children were born in the township; Francis M., John, Jane, and Annie. Mr. Howard lived to improve a large farm and enjoy the fruits of his labor. He died at the age of 81 years in the summer of 1878. Mrs. Howard died many years ago. Four of the children, Benjamin, Peter, Francis, and Annie are residents of Tunbridge; others of the family are living in the county.

Among other old settlers are the following: John Morrison, who resides in section 11; Nathan Cooper, in section 26; D. W. Hickman, section 6; James R. Turner, and James K. Scott, both residents of Kenney.

The first frame building of any kind built in the township was constructed by John Walker on section 13, in 1888. It was a small affair, and attached to his log house for the purpose of enlarging his dwelling. Luther Newcomb was the carpenter. The second frame was built some two years afterwards. It was a dwelling constructed for Thomas Hutchin, and situated in section 16, near Salt Creek. A Mr. Hoover was the carpenter, and James R. Turner did the plastering. It is yet standing, and is owned and occupied by Stephen W. Hutchin, a grandson of Thomas.

The first marriage ceremony took place in 1829. James K. Scott was the officiating clergyman of what was then called the New Light persuasion. Elisha Butler and Mary Coppenbarger, daughter of Jacob Coppenbarger, were the contracting parties. Both have long since departed this life.

Tradition says that Trink Alsop was the first born. He was the son of the pioneer, Thomas Alsop, who then lived on section 10. As to the date of the birth, tradition is silent. The first death was that of a girl twelve years of age, the daughter of Nathan Vestal. This occurred in 1825. In those days there was no lumber to be had, only as it was hewn out by the ax. Edom and Zion Shugart shouldered their axes, and sought a tree that would answer their purpose. A basswood was selected, and from this they procured slabs which they smoothed down as well a they could and constructed a rude coffin. The remains were placed in it and taken to a hill in section 7, where she was buried.

The first school was taught by Edom Shugart, in a little pole cabin, situated on the farm now owned by John Morrison. This was in the winter of 1829-30; in fact, it was the first school taught in the county. There were but a handful in attendance and the few came when the weather was not too cold for inconvenience, for it must be remembered that the cabin was not lathed and plastered, not even chinked.

James K. Scott preached the first sermon in the township, Hugh Bowles and Levi Pitner were also pioneer preachers. At a later date, Peter Cartwright preached in the neighborhood. Mrs. Watson, daughter of the pioneer, William Newcomb, says, "she has heard him preach many a time at her father's house". In those times there were no church-houses; services were held in the private houses of the settlers.

The first church built was situated on the land of William Bowles in about 1840. It was a frame building, and known as "The Old Union". It received its name from the fact of its being built by donations from all denominations, and was used in common.

One of the first physicians was William Laughlan; he moved to the far west in an early day. William Lowrey was probably the first justice of the peace.

The first blacksmith was a man by the name of Jack Henderson. He came from Kentucky in a very early day, and was one of the oldest settlers. His shop was a pole cabin, and situated in section 7. He remained here but a short time, when he moved back to Kentucky.

The first mill was built by John Coppenbarger, and was situated on section 7. Jack Henderson, the blacksmith, was the master mechanic. It was the rudest kind of a horse mill, capable of grinding only three or four bushels of corn per day. It was built in 1828. Prior to this, the settlers were obliged to go 40 or 50 miles to get their milling done, as this was the first mill constructed in this section of country.

The first water mill was built on Salt Creek, in section 11, by Melville and William Lowrey in 1838. It was constructed for a saw mill only, but afterwards a grist mill was attached. It had the turbine or horizontal wheel for a power. A freshet carried it away in 1844. It was afterwards re-built and re-modeled, and is now owned and operated by John Morrison.

Thomas Hutchin introduced the first blooded stock in the township. He imported from Ohio some fine short-horn Durham cattle, and several Berkshire hogs; he was also the first to introduce blooded horses.

The first bridge was constructed across Salt Creek about two and one-half miles south-east of Kenney, and it is said that from the name of the bridge the township took its name; that is, for some reason the bridge took the name of Tunbridge. It was at this point where the first town was laid off and called Franklin. It was here that the first post-office was established. Mr. Barbaree laid out and platted a small village on paper. He built a small house, and utilized it for both a dwelling and storeroom. This was about 1860. The goods sold here were the first sold in the township. James W. Armstrong afterwards bought out Mr. Barbaree, and soon afterwards closed out the business, as it did not prove to be a commercial point. The would-be village is now under cultivation, constituting part of a good farm. All the business there at this time is the mill owned by John Morrison.

The roads and bridges of Tunbridge are in very good condition. The former could be improved somewhat by turnpiking, and leaving ditches of sufficient depth and width so as too readily carry off all surface water. There are two excellent bridges across Salt Creek, costing in the neighborhood of $1,000 each.

The following are the supervisors and the time of their elections since township organization: John D. Hutchin elected in 1859, and served two terms. James B. Turner elected in 1861, served one term. Benjamin Howard elected in 1862, and served until 1866. M. B. Spicer elected in 1866, and served two terms. James A. Kirby elected in 1868, and served two terms. Benjamin Howard re-elected in 1870, and served until 1873. John H. Randolph elected in 1873, and served until 1878. He was chairman of the board the last term. J. R. Turner elected in 1878, and has served each year since, and has been elected chairman for the past two terms.

Picture of James Todd Residence.
Click on image to view larger picture.


This thriving little village is situated at the junction of the Springfield Division of the Illinois Central and Illinois Midland Railways. The original town plat contained forty acres and it was laid out by Moses Kenney in 1871. The first lot sold was bought in August of that year by J. F. Dix. The ground is situated in section 35. Later additions have been made, so that the corporate limit of the village is just one-half mile square. The first building was erected in October 1871, and situated in block 3 on Kenney street. It was a small one-story frame building, and occupied by A. Milmine, for a grocery store, who sold the first goods in the town. The building has since been moved to Johnston (Main) street, and is used by William Haines for a butcher shop. Harrison Maltby sold the first dry goods. The business was located on the corner of Henderson and Crossley streets. The first hardware store was situated on the corner of Benjamin and Henderson streets, and the business was conducted by H. P. Rucker. The first private residence was built by Josiah Luttrell in the fall of 1871, and it was situated in block 6, lot 1. It was a two-story frame building, and is yet standing, and now occupied by J. B. Runyon. The first hotel was situated on Kenney street, and kept by James Q. Burgett. It was a frame, two stories, and an L. It is now used for a dwelling. The business part of the town was at first situated on Kenney street, two streets east of Johnston, which is now the main street. This change was wrought mainly from the fact of the high prices for lots on the former street, and the Midland railway crossing established near the foot of Johnston street. In making the change, excitement ran high between the two factions; some desirous to retain the business where it was, others to take it where it now is; hence, Johnston received the cognomen of "Wall" street, and Kenney that of "Broadway", and at this time they are known by many of the townsmen as such. The Wall street faction succeeded in carrying the day, and the business houses were all moved over to Johnson street. This was in 1873.

The village at this writing contains about 600 inhabitants, and has a live class of business men. The sidewalks are kept in good condition, and the main business street is graded and graveled. In the very center of this street, in the north part of the town, stands a large and thrifty apple tree. It stands alone and looks as though it might exclaim: "I am monarch of all I survey!" It is said that the school-boys generally gather the harvest. No inland town in the state, probably, has better privileges for obtaining good water— it is said to be inexhaustible. At a depth of about eight feet, a gravel strata is reached, which averages twelve feet in thickness. After passing through this strata, a lake of pure water is found, which underlies the whole village. In the driest seasons there is a bountiful supply of water. It is believed that an ordinary engine could not pump a well dry that is sunk to the depth of twenty-five feet. The live little town is already talking of erecting some kind of water works. Several public meetings have been held preliminary to such an improvement.

Incorporation.— The village was incorporated in the fall of 1875, and the following officers were elected trustees: F. M. Jeffrey, O. D. Dickey, W. W. Johnston, S. J. Metland, Robert Orr, and Charles Stuart; H. P. Rucker, clerk. The following are the officers elected for the years following to the present time: In 1876, W. W. Johnston, S. J. Metland, J. R. Turner, Robert Orr, James Wallace, and M. Milmine, trustees; clerk, H. P. Rucker; police magistrate, J. M. Graham. 1877 trustees; John Kenney, J. R. Turner, D. W. Ducy, T. H. Cooley, F. D. Byerly and George O'Brien; clerk, J. W. Cogdall. 1878 trustees; W. T. Sowers, F. M. Hubbell, J. C. Kirby, W. W. Johnston, M. Milmine and H. G. Beatty; clerk, G. K. Ingham. In 1879; W. W. Johnston, J. C. Kirby, M. Milmine, F. M. Hubbell, H. G. Beatty, and J. K. Blandin, trustees; James Bateman, clerk. Trustees for 1880; D. W. Ducy, J. T. Williams, J. A. Williams, James Bateman, E. Fredrickson, and James Carman; police magistrate, W. W. Graham. The present officers (1881) are: Trustees, James Brelsford; President, J. R. Turner; Joseph Umphrey, Luther Hobbs, G. W. Oglevie, and Bernard Burns. Clerk, James Bateman; police magistrate, W. W. Graham; village attorney, O. E. Harris; marshal, J. B. Botkin.

The village school was organized in 1874, with H. P. Rucker and Miss Milmine as teachers. In 1875, a fine school building was erected at a cost of between four and five thousand dollars. The house is situated on Howard street, in the north-east part of the town. It is a frame structure, two stories high, and contains four rooms, three of which are occupied, and are furnished with the latest improved furniture and other belongings to match. The building has a bell and belfry, besides being surrounded by an acre of ground, giving ample play-ground to the pupils. The number in attendance is about 150, and is well-graded, suitable for this number of scholars.

The town contains but one church building, and is of the Methodist denomination. It is a medium-sized frame structure, having a bell and belfry, and is conveniently arranged otherwise for the accommodation of its members and for church service. It was moved here from Pleasant Valley, two miles west of town, in 1876. It is situated in the north part of the village on Johnston street.


  • Rush Elevator.— This industry is owned and operated by Fred. P. Rush & Co. It was built by S. J. Metland in the spring of 1875, and passed into the hands of the present firm but recently (1881). The main building is 36x98 feet, and four stories in height, including basement. The foundation consists of stone, and the building complete with the grounds, cost $6,000. It is situated on the "Y" of the Central and Midland railways, convenient for the transaction of all business. The capacity for elevating is 5,000 bushels daily, with storage facilities for 7,000 bushels of grain. It has five dumps, and a 25-horse power engine to run the works, and gives employment to eight men. Besides the elevator proper, it has a quarter of a mile of cribs, capable of holding 100,000 bushels of corn. This was the first elevator of steam-power in Kenney.
  • J. O. Peckham & Co.'s Elevator is situated on the right-of-way of the Springfield division of the Illinois Central Railroad. It was built by said company in the spring of 1877, and passed into the hands of E. Kent & Co. Sept. 1, 1881. It is a frame, with stone foundation; the main building is 28x20 feet on the ground and four stories high, besides an engine room 20x28 feet, and one story in height. The crib-room is 24x60, and will store 20,000 bushels. It has a capacity of elevating, daily, 6,000 bushels of grain, and gives employment to four men. The estimated value of the elevator, machines and grounds is $5,500.
  • Kenney Tile Works.— These works are located south of the Rush Elevator, and near the foot of Johnston street. They were established in 1877 by Traver & Reeser, and passed into the hands of the present owners, Bruaw & Quigley, early in 1881. The works cover four acres of ground, and the estimated value of machinery, sheds, grounds, etc., is $4,400. There are two kilns for burning the tile, with shed-room 30x200 feet. The operators manufacture tile of the size from two and a half to eight inches. The annual value of manufactured product is estimated at $5,000. Eight men are given employment when the works are in operation.
  • The Kenney Gazette is under the efficient management of R. T. Spence. It is a spicy weekly paper, and justly deserves the patronage of the people of Kenney and vicinity. The paper here was established first by J. W. Wolf, and was entitled the Kenny Record; for some reason it ceased to exist, hence the Gazette has taken the field, and from every appearance it will live, grow and prosper.
  • Rucker Hall is situated on Johnston street, over the store now owned by V. Thompson. It is 22x80 feet in size, and capable of accommodating 200 persons. It has a stage, a set of scenery, and is seated with hall chairs.
  • General Merchandise.— V. Thompson, R. Robins, J. R. Race & Co.
  • Hardware, Tinsware, Stoves and Agricultural Implements.— H. P. Rucker, H. P. Merriman.
  • Drugs and Groceries.— Brelford & Co.
  • Groceries and Provisions.— Orr & Johnston.
  • Drugs, Medicines and Stationery.— F. K. Robins.
  • Boot and Shoe Store.— J. C. Kirby & Co.
  • Harness and Sadlery.— H. G. Beatty.
  • Furniture and Undertaking.— I. B. Gallaher.
  • Flour Store.— A. Milmine.
  • Restaurant and Bakery.— W. G. Darden.
  • Jeweler and Sewing Machine Agent.— C. Lawrence.
  • Restaurant and Confectionery.— J. H. Williams.
  • Hotels.— Kenney House, A. J. McLain, proprietor; The Home, J. W. Burgett, proprietor.
  • Dressmaker and Milliner.— Miss A. E. Lindley.
  • Dressmakers.— Mrs. Sarah Pence, Misses Sidell, Mrs. Mitchel.
  • Physicians.— W. H. Kirby, M. C. McIntire, W. H. Owsley, W. Burgett, J. C. Scott.
  • Carpenters.— John Williams, Frank Byerly, T. H. Cooley.
  • Postmaster.— F. K. Robins.
  • Lumber and Coal Merchants.— E. Kent & Co.
  • Meat Market.— William Haines.
  • Blacksmith and Wagon Maker.— Peter Peterson.
  • Livery and Feed Stables.— Humphrey & Botkin, L. McNeal.
  • Shoe Shops.— J. E. Deihl, William Adams.
  • Grain Dealers.— Lutrell & Butler.
  • Notary.— H. P. Rucker.
  • Blacksmiths.— Rung & Weekly, George Poindexter, B. S. Kirby.
  • Brick masons.— J. L. Carman & Son, J. R. Turner.
  • Justices of the Peace.— W. W. Graham, Police Magistrate and Justice, George Poindexter, J. B. Bombarger.
  • Barbers.— C. Lawrence, F. Conley.
  • There are also one saloon and two billiard tables.


Kenney Lodge, No. 557, I. O. O. F., was instituted November 11th, 1874. The charter officers were John Walton, N. G.; J. J. Lake, V. G.; Jno. M. Graham, Secretary, and S. J. Metland, Treasurer. There were seven charter members. The present officers are James Brelsford, N. G.; Benjamin Howard, V. G.; John Nearing, Secretary, and J. C. Kirby, Treasurer. The present membership is 32. The order has a very convenient lodge-room, and is in a good condition financially.

Kenney Lodge, No. 462, I. O. of G. T. was chartered September 1st, 1879. The following are the names and titles of the charter officers: J. E. Deihl, W. C. T; Mrs. George Davis, W. V.; F. M. Hubbell, W. S.; S. Spahr, W. F. S.; C. M. Welsh, W. T.; W. N. Sybert, W. M.; A. T. Hildreth, O. G.; Laura Clifton, I. G.; Mrs. Hubbell, R. H. S.; Ollie Armstrong, L. H. S.; C. M. Welsh, L. D.; E. B. Weekly, P. W. C. T. Number of charter members 16.

The present officers are B. B. Ives, W. C. T.; Mrs. Hubbell, W. V.; Ella Ives, W. S.; F. M. Hubbell, W. F. S.; J. Bateman, W. M.; H. F. Byerly, W. T.; J. Stewart, I. G.; H. Ely, O. G.; Minnie Howard, D. M.; John Byerly, Chaplain; C. E. Howard, P. W. C. T. Present membership is 35. The Lodge meets every Saturday evening in Red Front Hall. There is much interest manifested among the fraternity, and the lodge is in excellent condition financially.

We have thus sketched the history of the oldest settled territory in DeWitt county. It is easy to compare then and now. A little more than a half century ago there were but five white persons in the whole county. The official census of 1880, in Tunbridge alone, was 1605; and in the county nearly 22,000. With this progress, the historian, fifty years hence, will have volumes to chronicle.

Return to Contents